Friday, January 3, 2014

Letter 1 - MTC Baby!


Hello everyone!
It is my 3rd day at the MTC and my first P-Day! Being here these past few days has been great! I love it here, the Spirit is so strong. I have an amazing companion, her name is Sister A. She is from Layton, Utah and we stay in a room with another companionship.(Sister K and Sister R) Us 4 are all going to Tempe, Arizona! Sister A is really special because she has already served a 3 month "trail mission" in South Salt Lake. So she already knows the lessons and how to teach by the Spirit. I am really grateful for her because she has taught me so much. It is hard sometimes because I feel like I'm way behind and slowing us down, but that's how I grow! My district is awesome too. It consists of us 4 sisters and then 4 elders.(Elder P, Elder A, Elder A, and Elder L) All the elders are going to Oakland California.Yesterday we got to go around and tell eachother why, how, and when we decided to go on missions. Through that we have really bonded, So much so that sometimes when we are supposed to be studying we just talk haha but it's all good.

The first day here was a little overwhelming but that night really made it sink in that I was missionary. After dinner we had a "teaching experience" where all the new missionaries got split up into 3 groups. Then we rotated 3 times and as a group tried to teach 3 different "investigators" and bring them closer to Christ. It was very eye opening and humbling. I realized how much I don't know. It was crazy. I realized how important it is to be simple in your language and doctrine with those who don't know anything about the church. I realized how important it is to be unified, in this case, as a group but normally as a companionship. And the biggest thing was that we are teaching people, not lessons. It was so vital to relate to the people and follow their needs. That experience was very real and cemented the fact that I am a full time missionary now, there is no going back haha. Another cool thing about Wednesday was that it was New Years Day. Probably the coolest day to come into the MTC. The MTC presidency talked to us and pointed out that it is quite symbolic. We have the chance to leave our 2013 selves at home and become a new person for 2014. A Completely different person and to commit ourselves to the Lord.

Yesterday was my first full day at the MTC. And let me tell you I am tired, haha but it is totally worth it. We pretty much get to eat, go to class, eat, go to class, eat, go to class then go to bed! It's great. haha but actually, it is. Yesterday morning we learned about our purpose as missionaries, which is to "invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." The lesson was really cool and changed my perspective on the purpose of missionaries. Then after lunch we had our first class with our district and we learned about the Plan, Study, Teach cycle. That was really amazing to learn and then practice. I did my first role play with Sister A. I was very nervous but because I had prepared and asked for the Spirit, I was able to be calm, speak slowly and feel the spirit guiding me. Then that night we met with the Branch President and he trained us some more and gave us rules of the MTC. The biggest thing that they stress here is Obedience. That's the number 1 way to be an extraordinary missionary. I totally believe it too, because when you do what the Lord asks, you are entitled to His Spirit and Power. Also last night I got called to be the "Sister Training Leader" for my Zone. This is kind of the equivalent of the Zone Leaders. I focus on the Sisters and help them with anything they need. Then I go to leadership meetings with the DL and ZL and the Branch Presidency. It is a little overwhelming because next week it our job to meet with a new district of missionaries that are coming in next Wednesday and help orient them to the MTC. I feel like I don't know anything right now, but luckily that's a few days away. I am so excited to be here and to learn and grow as much as I can!

here is my MTC address, I leave on January 14th!
Sister Annalee Dewey
JAN14 AZ-TEM
2007 N 900 E Unit 50
Provo UT 84602

Well I hope all is well at home and at school! I miss all of you and am still adjusting to missionary life. I have so much to learn and I am excited for this next week! And being able to feel the spirit all day every day is the best! Love you all, thanks for everything! and Happy Birthday on Tuesday Mom!
Sister Dewey

No comments:

Post a Comment